risk factors that can be controlled!
- high blood pressure
- high blood cholesterol
- lack of regular activity
- obesity or overweight
risk factors you can’t be controlled
- heredity (family health history)
- previous stroke or heart attack
What are the benefits of heart-healthy eating?
Eating a heart-healthy diet is important for managing your blood pressure and reducing your risk of heart attack, stroke and other health threats.
Get quality nutrition from healthy food sources
Aim to eat a diet that’s rich in:
- Low-fat dairy products
- Skinless poultry and fish
- Nuts and legumes
- Non-tropical vegetable oils
- Saturated and trans fats
- Red meat (if you do eat red meat, compare labels and select the leanest cuts available)
- Sweets and sugar
- sweetened beverages